Friday, January 30, 2009

books and heat

I try to match the color of my typing to how I'm feeling or what I'm writing about. So is this the color of FREEZING????!!!!! Sometime in the night, our furnace stopped working. It is now down to 57 degrees. I'm used to 72! Seth is sleeping right through it, even though he always wakes up when I come in his room and start the computer. Someone's supposed to be calling sometime today to come fix it -- I HOPE! It's about 25 degrees outside, so I'll be getting a space heater right after work today! Even if they fix the heat before then, it's best to be prepared -- and at this exact point in time, I'm NOT prepared and suffering the consequences of that.

I finished one book and started another. The book I finished was Bella. I got the movie for my birthday and the book for Christmas. The book is better in my opinion because there's more detail and less Spanish. The movie is good, too, but I'm not a big fan of subtitles (I think that's the correct term for translating the Spanish to English in lines on the bottom of the screen -- someone educate me here if I'm incorrect). Lisa Samson (one of my favorite authors) wrote the book from the screenplay, and she did a great job! It's a very sad story with a pretty much happier ending, but not the kind of ending that makes the reader say, "Oh, good, I'm glad everyone will live happily ever after." It's more like "Well, that's better, at least." The book was hard to put down, so I finished it in less than a week, I think. The book that I started is Expecting Adam. It's another book about a child with Down syndrome. These kinds of books are very interesting, but absolutely heart wrenching for me. The first one I read (Beyond the Clouds by Karen Kingsbury) almost left me in a balled up heap of tears; but the author is a Christian, so the whole message of the story was about seeing this type of situation as one of God's many workings in human life. The second one was The Memory Keeper's Daughter by Kim Edwards, which I wrote about on here extensively already. Only the first chapter was really difficult in that one; but it wasn't (as far as I know) written from a Christian perspective, so it was a little difficult to see everything as a happy ending. This third one is about a couple of Harvard post-grad students who have a son with Down syndrome. I've only read two chapters so far, but the philosophy of these people seems to be that only highly intelligent people deserve to live and that abortion is a good idea for people who would be inconvenienced by a child of any health or ability. Obviously, they didn't follow that philosophy themselves because they had their baby, knowing that he had Down syndrome. It amazes me that people can be so wrapped up in themselves that they can honestly believe those kinds of things with no thought whatever for the sacredness of human life.

ok -- all this typing has finally gotten Seth to start waking up, so it's time to get his clothes on (he refuses to wear pj's, so he's in a onesie only -- thank goodness he didn't move when I put a blanket on him this morning!).

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had a warmer day today.
    By the way MO. didnt mark twain live there?

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008