Monday, January 26, 2009

I'm a celiac

I recently decided that maybe the skin biopsy was wrong almost twenty years ago. Maybe I don't really have celiac disease. Maybe I just needed to re-introduce gluten slowly like I did with the foods Seth used to be allergic to. So I slowly started taking a bite here and there of whatever I wanted. I didn't get sick, so I started to get excited and take a few more bites and a few more. I never did get sick, but I did break out with the stupid little blisters that are the manifestation of dermatitis herpetiformis (the horribly ugly name of the skin reaction to gluten intolerance). This means, of course, that I've been poisoning myself all these months. All the little "digesting fingers" in my small intestine are either cowering, scared out of their wits or squashed like little bugs. Thank goodness, they're like those demon pincher bugs that I always find in my downstairs -- it takes more than one "squashing" to kill them dead. This morning I tried a little bite of Joel's birthday chocolate chip cookies to make sure they were edible, but that HAS to be the last time! These blisters are irritating and sometimes painful, and the possibility of developing intestinal cancer should make me stick to my gluten-free diet.

So have I written lately how much I LOVE Third Day????!!!!! I listen to them every chance I get -- kitchen, van, computer (like right now), laundry room.

Seth actually talked for his speech therapist today -- YAY SETH!!! She was very impressed.

1 comment:

  1. If I eat/drink aspartame (Equal) I get migraines. I did just what you did . . . . figured I'd beat it. Oh how wrong I was. I will never forget the fateful day I got a large diet Dr. Pepper at McDonalds. I spent two days in bed with a migraine.

    I have a friend who is a celiac and it's a very restrictive diet - I feel for you.

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008