Thursday, February 26, 2009

Angel Unaware

I just finished reading a book by Dale Evans Rogers, Angel Unaware. I didn't know that Roy Rogers and Dale Evans had a little girl with Down syndrome. It was a very interesting book (very short, too, but she fit a lot of meaning in that small space!). She wrote the book from her daughter's viewpoint, which was EXACTLY what many people (myself included!) really need to think about -- special children shouldn't be pitied; they are messengers from God Himself. Dale's philosophy that she shares through this book is that God sends angels to us to teach us lessons through special children; and when these certain people have learned or at least started to learn what God wants them to see, He takes the angel back up to Heaven. The Rogers' daughter, Robin, only lived for two years because of heart problems; but her short life changed the Rogers' lives. They became more aware of children who were sick and/or handicapped and started helping to improve their lives. At that time in history (the 1950's, I think), children with Down syndrome were still called "mongoloid" (a term that is like nails on a chalkboard to me!) and were generally put in institutions. The Rogers were Christians and wanted to love their baby girl no matter what challenges she and they would face.

The lesson that I learned from this book is that Seth is a gift (well, I knew that already, but I didn't allow myself to think too deeply about the entire concept). Seth is a gift to me, first of all. His presence in my life has opened my eyes, mind, and heart to complete acceptance and compassion for people with disabilities. Before I had Seth, I avoided these people because they made me uncomfortable. That was wrong of me. God made each person exactly how they are, and each one deserves to be loved and respected. Seth is also a gift to every single person who has the privilege to meet him. His smiles, his laugh, his hugs, actually everything about this child can be uplifting and life-changing. I thank God for entrusting me with this precious angel, and I pray for the wisdom to teach him and learn from him everything that God has purposed.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this beautiful blog. I'm so glad all God has shown you!!

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008