Wednesday, February 25, 2009

new religious lessons

I looked up Easter traditions on www.catholic.org and found some GREAT information. I'm not converting to Catholicism or anything, but learning from some of the traditions of the Catholic church:
Today is Ash Wednesday. Ashes are a symbol of penance and contrition. Ashes are a reminder that life on Earth passes away and that God is gracious and merciful to those who call on Him with repentant hearts. Ashes help develop a spirit of humility and sacrifice. I should seek God's mercy with reflection, prayer, and repentance.
Lent is about conversion, turning my life more completely over to Christ and His way of life, giving up sin in some form, not just abstaining from sin during this few week time period, but rooting sin out of my life forever, leaving behind an old way of living and acting in order to embrace new life in Christ.
Scrutinies is a tradition that I'd never heard of, but it's an excellent concept -- Pray for strength to overcome the power of sin in my life and to grow in virtue. Scrutinize my own life and allow God to scrutinize and heal me. Reflect on what obstacles to gospel living exist in my own life.

I'm glad I did this little study. DEFINITELY good food for thought and hopefully ideas that lead to positive changes.

For anyone reading my blog, please understand that I'm not writing these things to "preach" to anyone but myself. If you feel encouraged or challenged, good. But that's not my intention. I'm just sharing things that I'm learning for myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008