Friday, March 27, 2009

I forgot a book

I forgot to write about the book I recently finished -- The Atonement Child by Francine Rivers. I forgot because I wasn't overly impressed with this book. It was a good idea, but it seemed to drag on (and had a few too many "Christian cliches" which irritates me so badly!). The book is about a girl who is attending a Christian college, works part-time at a nursing home, and is engaged to a guy who wants to be a pastor. On her way home from work, she's raped. She finds out that she's pregnant, and everyone she knows except one person advise her to get an abortion. The majority of the book is about her going back and forth between wanting to please everyone, not wanting to lose any relationships, dealing with the trauma of being raped, and deciding what to do about being pregnant. There are many good parts to the book, but I guess it didn't appeal to me because of her "wishy-washiness." She can't seem to stand up for herself, even though she knows in her heart what she really wants to do about the situation. I can understand her hesitating to tell anyone because of the fear of losing everyone; but surely when she sees that she might just lose everyone no matter what she does, she should've stood firm and told her family and friends what she needed from them. All of the other characters (except the one who did not advise her to abort) were so self-centered and didn't seem to care at all about what that girl was going through. Never having been in such a situation, I don't know how people would react. It just seems more realistic for people to put their own issues aside to care for and support the person who was traumatized.

Anyway, I returned that book to the library and moved on to another book about a "special needs" person. So far it's pretty good. I think I've been a little spoiled by some of the incredible books I've read so that now, normal average good books aren't quite good enough. I can't seem to get into the stories like I did with some previous books. I have a HUGE list of books to try from the library and a couple books that I bought on sale at Borders. I'm hoping they won't disappoint :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008