Thursday, May 28, 2009

month-long book

This morning, I finally finished reading Villette by Charlotte Bronte. It was a good story, but a little difficult to read mostly because the author wrote the book in the 1850's and also because the author wrote parts of the dialogue in French. I might have finished it in less than the month it took if I'd had time to read when I was fully awake. Life has been so hectic this last month that I only had time to read right before I fell asleep (except this morning -- the kids slept until 9:30 a.m., so I sat at the table with my coffee and read). The story is of a young English woman named Lucy. She had a pretty rough childhood because of losing her parents. She decided to move to France and got a job as a teacher in a boarding school. The book is basically a chronicle of Lucy's life, her troubles and thoughts/feelings/solutions to her troubles. The last few chapters were the best part of the book -- again, possibly because I was reading them when I was fully conscious.

I have another Bronte book to read, but I'm going to wait awhile to read that one. I need a break from "poetic prose" -- time for some simple-minded top seller reading :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008