Wednesday, May 20, 2009

smart kiddos :-)

Today was the elementary awards ceremony (and the LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!). I didn't make Luke go to school today, so he was with me and Seth all day.These two pictures are right before we went into the awards assembly. Look at the "Dopey" ears :-)The elementary has three kindergarten classes and two classes for each of the other grades. Each class gives awards for the highest grades in Math, Spelling, Reading, Language, Phonics (for the lower elementary grades), Bible, and Science (I think those are all the subjects that earn awards). The librarian also gives an award to the student in each grade (except kindergarten) who reads the most pages throughout the school year.

This year, Makenzie won the Reading award, and she got the gold medal for good behavior.

Joel won the Language and Library awards (my camera didn't work well when Joel was standing with his teacher, so I don't have a picture of the two of them for the blog -- a friend sitting next to me took one with her camera, though, so I have a good one for the photo album :-), and he got the silver medal for pretty good behavior (can I really expect a gold behavior medal from a 10-year-old boy? I can keep hoping).

I'm so proud of my children for their good behavior and for the academic successes! What probably makes me the happiest about all this, though, is that they're not the kind of kids (as far as I know, anyway) who get an "attitude" about getting good grades. They like to win the awards, but they don't make anyone else feel "less" for not winning (again -- as far as I know -- I've never witnessed any "I'm smarter than you" kind of attitude, so I hope it just isn't even in them!)

I woke up with a headache today probably because I didn't get enough sleep and never do. I was still dreaming when the alarm went off, but I knew I had to get up to get myself and the kids ready for school and the awards ceremony. Forcing myself to get up when I'm still over half-asleep almost always causes a headache, and today's was quite a "doozy"!! After lunch, I put Seth in his bed and put "Scooby-Doo" on the tv for Luke so that I could take a nap. When Luke's movie was over, he woke me up to ask me to start it again. I told him to "sh" and take a nap with me. AND HE DID! I was relieved that he didn't fight with me about that because I was in too much pain to fight! The crazy thing about these stupid headaches is that I take Tylenol or Advil all day, but it doesn't seem to do a bit of good (except to keep the headache from turning into the lying-on-the-floor-talking-gibberish-and-unable-to-get-up kind of migraine) until I'm about ready to go to bed at night. I just noticed before I started this paragraph that the headache is pretty much gone. I'm ready to GO now -- but I need to go to sleep so that my head doesn't do a "repeat performance" of today!

1 comment:

  1. Congrats to the kiddos!! And honestly, I don't want to see a 10 year old boy with gold medal good behavior. It would freak me out - lol.

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008