Friday, August 7, 2009

two movies i didn't like

WARNING: I'm going to tell pretty much all the important details of two movies.

I recently watched two movies that I would recommend that NO ONE waste time watching: The Duchess and Atonement. Both of them are quite disturbing in my opinion. Besides the fact that there's a lot of blatant immorality in both movies, the messages of them are just depressing. The Duchess is about living with responsibility. The main character (obviously, the Duchess) gets married, thinking that the Duke loves her. The truth is, though, that he just needs to get married and produce a male heir. Even though she's quite disappointed, she does her best to accept her life until she finds out that the Duke is having an affair with her best friend. When she confronts them and demands that her ex-best friend be sent away, the Duke refuses to end the affair and actually continues the relationship right out in the open. When the Duchess falls in love with another man, however, the Duke confronts her with an ultimatum: stay with the other man who will never be allowed to work in England again or go home to her children whom she will never see again if she stays with the other guy. She, of course, chooses to keep her children after contemplating leaving them until she read letters from them to her saying how much they love and miss her. When she returns home, she realizes that she's going to have the other man's child. The Duke demands that she be sent away until the baby is born and that she give the child to the other man's relatives. That whole part is just heartbreaking! I can't even imagine having to give away one of my children! She lived the rest of her life in the same house with the Duke and his mistress (with whom she became friends with again). The most depressing thing is the realization that some decisions ruin the whole rest of life and can't be undone or fixed.

Atonement was quite confusing, but I got the main gist of it. A little girl has a crush on one of the servant's sons. He is in love, though, with the girl's older sister. Either because of that or because of a rather explicit note that she read from the servant's son to her older sister, the little girl falsely accuses the man of raping her cousin. The man goes to prison and is only released so that he can fight in the war (World War II, I'm pretty sure). He re-connects somehow with the older sister, and they both demand that the little sister clear the man's name. Before she can do that, though, both the man and the older sister are killed in the war. The younger sister becomes an author, and writes this whole story right before her own death as a means of atoning for the wrongs she had inflicted. This movie is even more disturbing than the other one because it shows that sometimes people's lives are in the hands of other people who lie to destroy all hope of happiness. Because that girl lied and refused to tell the truth, two people's lives were completely destroyed.

I've been getting movies from the library, but haven't found any that I really liked yet. And I'm not getting very far very fast on my beaded lamp shade. Actually, last night while I was winding a string of beads around one of the bars, the bar broke off. Now I have to glue it back on with some "J B Weld" (which I've already done once because I broke it when I ripped off the original covering). I'll have to make sure to be more careful and not use so much pressure when I wrap the beads around it next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008