Tuesday, September 22, 2009

crazy busy

Yesterday was "one of those days" :-) I knew it would be a full day, but I didn't realize how busy. I started, of course, at about 5 a.m. and got the kids scooted out the door for school at about 7:30 -- they're getting so good at the morning routine (most of the time). I quickly got Seth ready for speech therapy and made it there on time :-) He's doing so much talking lately! Most people don't understand him at all, and I don't understand a lot of what he's saying; but at least he's trying to copy the sounds of speech!

After getting some gas (I'm appalled at the price of gas up here! I wish I had the nerve to put the van in the garage and ride the people mover!), we headed over to Costco. I've been putting off this errand for weeks because I don't like going in that place. The carts are huge (but really not huge enough for all the stuff I end up getting), the lines are usually long, and it's just a stressful experience. But I was down to five diapers, so it was definitely time to go. I thought I'd combine two errands into one and order my new glasses. Most years, I get new glasses sometime close to dividend time. I never got around to it last year, so my glasses are close to falling apart now. I'm one of the slowest glasses-picker-outers in the world, so an hour after we walked in there, I had picked out two pairs of new frames. I waited my turn to get to the lady at the desk who was having quite a bad day. She was called in to work early to cover for someone, there was a huge line of people waiting, and her printer quite working. She handled it very calmly, though. Anyway, when my turn came in line, the lady looked on her computer and told me that I couldn't order new glasses without an eye exam because my prescription ran out a year ago. BOOOOOO! I know when my eyes need to be re-tested, and yesterday they didn't! But I went over to the eye doctor's receptionist and asked to make an appointment. She said she could put me in right then if I had time. All-righty! The eye doctor confirmed what I already knew -- my eyesight really hadn't changed much, but he gave me my prescription and I went back out to wait in line again to order my glasses. Now I just have to wait a week or two for them to come in :-) When I was finishing my order, I told the desk lady that I really hoped her day improved. She said, "Well, it will -- it sure can't get much worse!" :-) Seth sat so nicely in that cart through the whole glasses place time and then through the whole shopping time. Very impressive for a four-year-old!!!

After spending 2 1/2 hours in Costco, we had just enough time to unload all our purchases, eat a quick lunch, and get ready to go to my class. I made it there on time -- I was on a roll for punctuality yesterday! I tried to soak in all the sign language I could in class, then picked up the kids, then got home to help Luke with his homework. Dinner didn't work out so great, but at least no one left the table hungry :-) After the kids went to bed, I got to study my sign language a little bit (I already feel like I'm falling behind -- I need to set aside more study time) and then go for a walk. It was pretty chilly outside, but at least it had stopped raining :-) I strung beads for a little bit, checked my e-mail, read a few pages, and finally got to go to sleep!

It's getting dark so early now, I'm thinking it's time to move to the tread mill on nights when I walk by myself. A few nights a week, a church friend and I are walking together which is nice -- I haven't had a walking partner for ages! I'm not sure, though, how much longer we'll be wanting to be outside for that long. It's getting colder and darker every day!

1 comment:

  1. How much IS gas up there? Dare I ask? I am so grateful that is is down to $2.15 here in Dallas. I pray about the price of gas every day and even when it goes down just a penny I tell God thank you.

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008