Monday, December 14, 2009

Seth knows his own mind


Mom: "Seth, don't you want to go watch your movie while I finish up on the computer?"
Seth: "No."
Mom: "Don't you like Mickey Mouse?"
Seth: "No."
Mom: "Do you like Blue's Clues?"
Seth: "Yes."
Mom: "Do you like Franklin?"
Seth: "Yes."
Mom: "Do you like Mickey Mouse?"
Seth: "NO!"

I asked him several different times, and the answer was always the same. He knew what I was asking, and he knew what his opinion was. Do you KNOW how exciting it is to see a developmentally delayed child KNOW what he thinks and be able to express it clearly????!!!!!!! And it wasn't choices held up in front of him (like "do you want the movie that i'm holding in my right hand or the one in my left hand?"). I was giving him choices with just words. The movies were in the other room. I took this kind of milestone for granted with my other three children. Without my even noticing, they developed their opinions, the ability to express them, and the ability to understand concepts that aren't right in front of them. Every single tiny step with Seth is worthy of celebration!

2 comments:

  1. That's awesome, nut who doesn't like Mickey Mouse. So much for getting a trip to DisneyWorld. I wonder if they have a Blue's Clues world.

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008