Thursday, January 14, 2010

70's boy & "13 Reasons Why"


HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! Seth loves getting into the drawer in the bathroom that is full of hair stuff. He cracks me up!!!!!!!!!!

Last night I finished reading the book "13 Reasons Why" by Jay Asher. My Aunt Linda suggested I read this book, so I drove out to the Eagle River library and got it last week. This is the kind of book that all at the same time I'm so glad I read but brings with it the awareness of a heavy responsibility. The book is about a teenage girl who committed suicide. Before she swallowed the pills, she recorded cassette tapes to be given to the 13 people whose words and actions led to her final decision. Some of the 13 did horrible things on purpose, but several of them didn't mean to hurt this girl at all. The "moral of the story," of course, is that we NEVER know how our words and actions are going to affect other people. Sometimes people aren't affected at all, but sometimes what we say and do can either encourage or destroy other people. I'm thankful that my aunt recommended this book because I needed the reminder to be positive and encouraging to every human being that I come in contact with and to pay attention to the people around me, looking for signs of need or even distress. There have been times of need and distress in my own life, times I really could have used some help or at least a word of encouragement. Sometimes I received that help or encouragement, but most of the time people are too busy to notice. There have even been a few times when people knew there was a need and chose to ignore it. Maybe the only reason I and many other people don't do what this teenage girl did is that God is preventing our destruction. The responsibility has always been on every person to notice and help, but reading this book makes us aware of that responsibility. I really don't believe in "coincidence" -- I believe that God has orchestrated situations, putting people in certain places at certain times for His certain purpose. I'm hoping that now I'll recognize that concept and succeed in my part in His plans.

-----------------------------------------------------

today's song: "Show me Your Glory" by Third Day

----------------------------------------------------

today's verse: Ephesians 4:29
NewKingJamesVersion -- "Let no corrupt word proceed out of your mouth, but what is good for necessary edification, that it may impart grace to the hearer."
EasytoReadVersion -- "When you talk, don't say any bad things. But say things that people need -- things that will help other people become stronger. Then the things you say will help the people who listen to you."

1 comment:

  1. He is SOOOO cute in this picture... what great hair!!

    I am going to look for this book next time I go to the library (hoping on Saturday). It sounds really good, thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008