Friday, January 1, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

We had an exciting day yesterday! First the boys went to wrestling practice, Seth played with his cousin Gavin in the gym at school, and Makenzie and I worked on organizing Joel's teacher's bookshelves (I know -- that doesn't sound a bit exciting, but I love to organize things). Next, we went through the McDonald's drive-through for the last time (if I can keep this New Year's Resolution). I asked the kids to be SUPPORTIVE of this decision and not whine or beg at all for me to change my mind. Fast food is both expensive and unhealthy (although I'm about the LEAST health-conscious person alive). We could eat an entire bag of cereal and a whole jug of milk for less money that it costs us to go to McDonald's. I wouldn't want us to eat a bag of cereal for a meal, either, but if I'm so far behind in the day that I can't possibly think of making anything for lunch or dinner, almost ANYTHING is cheaper than fast food. We'll see how long this lasts.

After our late lunch, the real excitement started! We got our snow clothes together to meet Uncle Richard and some other friends from church downtown for the New Year's Eve fireworks. Joel has gone to this celebration once with Uncle Richard, and all three older kids have gone to different events downtown with Uncle Richard, but this was the first time that Seth and I went along. It was REALLY cold last night, but we had all our snow gear on and didn't really notice the cold except on our cheeks (should've had scarves, but left them at home for some reason). Seth wasn't feeling cooperative about walking, so he rode in the stroller the whole time. I'm pretty sure he was cold since he wasn't moving at all. I didn't plan well enough for him at all!

The kids slid around on the ice "rink" . . .




Seth watched from his stroller because I was in jeopardy of having heart failure just by Luke going into the crowd of people on the ice (doubly scary to me after losing him at the fair for a few minutes which I wrote about toward the end of THIS post). There's no way I could've kept an eye on both of those boys! Joel and Makenzie don't worry me that way.

Richard, two friends from church, Seth, and I sat and watched the kids slide around for quite a while. We were wishing for heated seats!!


The theme of this year's downtown celebration was Hawaiin because of their 50th anniversary of statehood (I think that's why). So there were flame dancers everywhere and a miniature volcano . . .


that shot out some fireworks every 15 minutes or so:


The kids later found a snow pile to play on for a little bit before we headed over to watch the real fireworks. I didn't think that Seth would be scared by the fireworks, but apparently he was because he cried the entire time. The fireworks were beautiful, though! The rest of us enjoyed them completely! I couldn't take any pictures because I was holding poor little Seth.

After taking our friends home, we went over to Darryl and Amanda's to have snacks, play a pictionary-type game, and watch the ball drop in Time Square. I forgot to take any pictures during that section of the excitement, though.

As soon as we saw the new year start, we packed up and got home to bed :-) All four kids slept in till after 10:30 this morning!

Seth started out 2010 the same way he starts almost every single day: making me smile :-)


----------------------------------------------------------------

song of the day: "First Song that I Sing" by Sara Groves

In the morning when I rise, help me to prioritize all the thoughts that fill my day,
Before my schedule tells me that my day is full, before I'm off and on my way,
I want to praise You. I need to praise You.
Let the first song that I sing be praises to my God and King!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

verse of the day: "The eternal God is your refuge, and underneath are the EVERLASTING ARMS . . ." (Deuteronomy 33:27)

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008