Wednesday, February 3, 2010

old pic, new day

This picture of Seth is from November, 2008 (i think). Back when he had short hair and took naps (not that those two facts are related in any way -- that wasn't a very "English teacher-ish" sentence at ALL!).


But it shows the same ornery smile that he was giving the ENTIRE time we were at City Diner today! He was QUITE interesting with his wiggling and yelling and getting off and back on his stool at the counter. "Our" waitress was getting a real kick out of the "show." I'm thinking the other customers might not have been having such a good time, though. Or maybe they were understanding because Seth is "special" -- have I ever shared how that concept kinda irritates me? ALL my children are "special," not just Seth! Seth has Down syndrome, is mentally retarded, and is developmentally delayed. But to give us "the look" that accompanies the word "special" in reference to Seth implies that somehow his diagnosis makes him inferior, pitiable. Strikes a nerve with me, apparently, although I would never want to offend anyone who has used that term and of course didn't mean to offend me. ANYway, Seth IS special -- and so are Joel, Makenzie, and Luke -- and so are Gavin and Makayla -- and so are . . . . . . . . . . (you get the picture).

-----------------------------------------------

today's song: "God" by Rebecca St. James

He made the night, He made the day
Spread the earth upon the water
Made the heavens and the rain.
Look at the sky - see its design
The very same Creator is the one who gave us life.

1 comment:

  1. OMGOSH I sooo know what you mean about that word "special". When I taught special ed, I hated it when that word rolled of some people's tongues: "Oh...you teach the SPECIAL kids don't you?" Uh... YAH. I DO. They are ALL special, thanks! Geez.

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008