Monday, May 16, 2011

two zoo trips

Luke's class went to the zoo a couple weeks ago, so Gavin and I went with them :-) LOVE it that Gavin has an A.C.S. sweatshirt and the cousins were matching!


Second grade boys have so much energy! Gavin did a great job keeping up without going out of my sight. I think they RAN to each new animal, never walked. Here's a rare "holding still, looking" moment:


Then last week, Seth's class went to the zoo, so I got to go AGAIN! Yippee for me :-) I love watching the kids get excited about seeing the animals, though. Funny story about Seth's trip, though (and by "funny," i mean "so completely embarrassing, I didn't want to show my face at his school ever again"). The bus was supposed to leave the school at about 10 a.m., so we got there at 9:45 a.m. We waited outside Seth's classroom for his teacher to bring the kids back to get their jackets. We didn't notice the class filing down the other end of the hall out to the bus. We waited and waited, and finally thought to ask, "Hey! Where is everyone?" The school secretary called one of the kindergarten teachers because THEY HAD LEFT US! They had to turn around and come back for us! I was SO VERY embarrassed. After the 15 minutes wasted picking us up and the 15 minutes of waiting in line, we only had a half-hour to zip through the zoo and see as many animals as we could. Everyone was very kind and said they weren't very far down the road and that they were glad to have us on the trip.

Seth's friend Kristin walked around with us, holding Seth's hand, helping to point out the animals to him, and encouraging him to stay with me :-) Here they are standing in front of the sleeping snow leopard (which I bet no one can see in this picture, but its head is on the ledge above the black cage door).


And now, the school year is almost over. I'm really looking forward to not having to be such a drill sergeant every morning to get everyone out the door on time! My hope for the next school year is that Luke will have matured to be a little closer to the level of Joel and Makenzie, who can pretty much get themselves up and ready on time. I know -- don't hold my breath.

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008