Thursday, August 11, 2011

wish i'd had a camera!

Yesterday the kids and I went to my sister-in-law's house to watch her kids while she went to work. They have a giant back yard, so the kids all went out there to play -- until they saw some piles of dog mess. I figured that Joel's surely old enough to clean up dog mess, so I gave him the job -- and learned a HUGE lesson! My kids are not used to having to work. How did I miss this important part of parenting? They seem to think that life is all about them having fun and being entertained. They'll do a little work now and then for a reward, if the reward's big enough and if the work doesn't interfere with their fun AND if the work isn't in any way unpleasant. That looks like the road to "brat-ville" to me. Joel first of all threw a little fit about having to work while everyone else played. Then he threw a bigger fit because scooping poop is gross. Then he started gagging and even went to the bathroom to throw up (was he thinking I'd feel sorry for him and let him stop? apparently he doesn't know me very well -- i have NO pity for melodrama!) He finally got the job done pretty well, but all of this opened my eyes. My children need to learn that God didn't put us in this world to sit on a couch watching movies. I'm going to be looking for opportunities for us to volunteer somewhere somehow. I'm starting the example in a small way tonight by becoming a volunteer in the local Down syndrome group. If we all learn that serving other people is more important than entertaining ourselves, maybe we'll have less yelling, fighting, and selfishness.

1 comment:

  1. They are good kids. :) I had a friend at work that said the food bank lets you stock shelves to volunteer. My kids aren't old enough yet but I thought what a great idea.

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008