Saturday, October 15, 2011

basketball?!

Luke and Makenzie decided that they wanted to play basketball this year. The fee was relatively small, so we agreed. They've had two practices, and Makenzie had her first game Thursday night. Today was the first time that I got to see them play. Neither one of them really knows anything at all about basketball. They mostly run back and forth on the court. They each got to play a couple minutes each game and touch the ball I'm pretty sure a total of twice today.

This is where they were most of the time we were in the gym today:

I'm not complaining about my kids sitting on the bench most of the game! They are still learning and need LOTS more practices before they'll be useful team members in a game. It's just a little boring for the mom to sit on hard bleachers watching other people's kids play a game that I don't even like.

Just to be clear and honest here, I really don't like sports. At all! And after today, I'm pretty sure that I don't like a lot of the people in the stands at basketball games, either. I have an obsessive kind of personality, but there's a line that should never be crossed -- the line between personal obsession and rudeness. If you're sitting in the bleachers at a basketball game, you can be pretty sure that any derogatory remark that you make is bound to be heard by at least one of those kids' parents. But for some reason, people obsessed with basketball DON'T CARE! They just spout off whatever comes into their little heads, no matter how hurtful their words are to the players or to the other parents. I'm pretty sure that the next time I come to my kids' games, I'm going to sit somewhere apart from all other "fans." There really should be a rule that the coaches, players, and refs are the ONLY people allowed to speak in a basketball game!!!

Seth didn't like the loudness in the gym AT ALL!! Every time a ref blew his whistle, Seth would yell at him to stop it. So we found these noise-blocking headphones in Jason's office for Seth to use until his grandparents could pick him up.There will be an equal amount of whining when wrestling season rolls around, I'm sure. I love my kids, but I HATE SPORTS!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008