Saturday, May 30, 2009

a day with each child

Today I took each child out one at a time -- pretty much, anyway. When Makenzie and I were almost ready to drive out, we decided to take Seth with us. Makenzie had some money and wanted to buy some books, so we went to Title Wave. We sold a few books and bought quite a few books :-) We also went to Walmart and bought candy treats for everyone. Lunch was a rip-off, though! We went through the McDonald's drive-through again. I ordered what I always order -- a double cheeseburger, fries, drink. They didn't put any ketchup, pickles, or onions on my burger!!!! Just cheese and meat :-( I couldn't go back because we drove away before I noticed it. Oh well -- at least it made me stop being hungry.

For Joel's turn, we went to the library. They were having a little "sign up for the summer reading program" fair. Joel made a little clay creature -- he's into strange animal/alien-type creatures. Then we went to Fred Meyer to buy him a gift from the "tooth fairy." Somewhere along the way, the kids figured out that I'm their tooth fairy, so we did away with the under-the-pillow ritual. It's much easier this way.

Luke finally got his turn last. He got to pick out what we were having for dinner (with a lot of help from me, of course). He also had some money to spend, and I was very proud of his frugality and choice-making skills. He wanted two stuffed animals. They each cost $8. He only had $15 and owed me $1 for breaking something a few weeks ago. I told him that I'd pay the difference if he gave up buying candy (which was the reason he wanted to go out with me in the first place -- until he saw Joel's new toy, then he also wanted a new toy). He weighed out the options of one toy with money left over and candy or two toys with no more money and no candy. He chose option number one, deciding that the rainbow dinosaur creature was stupid anyway :-)

Joel got more one-on-one time because after dinner, he walked with me. He's getting really good at keeping up with me and not whining :-) He says it's because he ate a plum today and got a new toy. Whatever -- I was just glad to spend time with my son.

So this was a great Saturday even though it was cold and windy. Maybe next Saturday will be just as great with some sunshine, boating, and pool time -- I can hope!

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008