Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Luke's turn in the boat

Today was Luke's turn to go out on the lake in the boat. I was laughing even before I got to the truck to drive to the lake. Usually, I tell Luke it's time to go at least fifteen minutes before I call everyone else because he lolly-gags so much. I guess he really wanted to go boating, though, because he got all ready and was in the truck, buckled in and everything before I was even ready. I wish I'd had my camera to get a picture of his little face with the giant grin sticking out the truck window watching for me to come out the door!

The whole time we were driving to the lake, Luke was saying that he was nervous and he hoped we didn't sink or pop the boat or something. And then almost the whole time we were in the boat, he was saying the same kinds of things. When he wasn't talking, he was looking around with wide eyes and tense body. He was just sure that I was going to either sink the boat, put a hole in the boat, tip us over, or get us stuck out in the middle of the lake. I did none of those things, although I did get a little water in the boat when I stood up at the bank to get us out of the boat. That scared him A LOT: "WATER, MOM, WATER -- THERE'S WATER COMING IN THE BOAT -- WE'RE SINKING!!!!!!"

And then when we got in the truck, he kept going with his lack of trust: "Mom, you're going to crash into those posts behind us!" And when I turned from the parking lot onto the street, he yelled out the window: "OH NO!!!! WE'RE GOING THE WRONG WAY!!!"

I think what made all his criticism and nervous talk so funny is that he was serious. He wasn't trying to be funny, and he wasn't just joking me. He was saying every honest thought in his head. I do wish that everyone who reads this could meet Luke -- he's QUITE a trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008