Tuesday, July 14, 2009

eight months on one book

This is embarrassing to admit, but I just finished the book of Genesis last night. It took me EIGHT MONTHS to read ONE book of the Bible. Reading through the Bible one chapter at a time is my evening Bible project. I have a great Bible commentary that explains the Bible one section at a time. What I should be doing is reading all of the chapters that the book suggests and then reading the commentary on that section. I'm not going to "beat myself up" about this, but I just haven't been able to make myself sit down to that much Bible reading at one time. I can read a novel for about a half-hour at one time before I have to get up and do something else, but reading the Bible for more than a few minutes fries my brain a little. I've kept up with my morning Bible reading, though -- I'm taking notes and everything! I'm hoping that when the kids are older and I have more time to myself, I'll want to spend more concentrated time in Bible reading. Right now, though, I have to give up sleep to do anything at all for myself. The kids are in bed from about 8 p.m. to 8 a.m. during the summer. That means I have those twelve hours to do whatever I want to do -- sleep, walk, read the Bible, read a book, do beadwork, etc. Someday, this whole concept will change and I'll have a regular adult schedule instead of a mommy schedule. I'm enjoying time with my kids while I can and squeezing in some of my own interests when I can.

Yesterday, we picked up one of Luke's friends and went to the school playground for about an hour. Some of the daycare kids were out there, so Joel and Makenzie found friends to play with, too. Today we're going to a park with my friend and her son, Joel's friend. Tomorrow, we're picking up one of Joel's friends and one of Makenzie's friends and meeting one of my friends and her son, Luke's friend, at another park. Then the "friend time" will have to go on hold for Makenzie's surgery and recovery. I'm afraid we might get "rained out" today and tomorrow (or should I say "drizzled out" -- it just doesn't rain here!), but we're going to give it a try anyway -- maybe take umbrellas :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008