Friday, September 11, 2009

4-year-old tests

I'm still shaking from this morning's ordeal! Seth had to have some tests done at the hospital today. First we did the x-rays to check his neck bones. I don't remember what the problem is called, but some people with Down syndrome have a problem with their necks. Seth did a pretty good job with the x-rays, considering we had to "sit" (I'm using that term VERY loosely in Seth's case!) in the waiting area for about 45 minutes.

But then we had to get the blood tests to check his thyroid and to check for celiac disease. People with Down syndrome are at a higher risk for both thyroid problems and celiac disease. Seth is doubly at risk since I have celiac disease. The blood-drawing ladies (I don't know their technical title) couldn't find a good vein, so they gave it their best try: three pokes and a lot of wiggling the needle around. I'm not sure that they got enough blood for either of the tests. We'll see, I guess, when we go to the pediatrician next week. We didn't have this problem when he had these tests two years ago.

Seth was VERY brave all during the needle business. He didn't yell or scream, and he barely cried. I think I cried more than he did. He did say "Ow" very clearly a couple times. He got a toy from the x-ray technician and then another one from the blood-drawing-ladies. He was also pretty happy with the bandages all over him.

1 comment:

  1. Poor guy!! I have vein problems, too, but if I get a phlebotomist, they seem to do a good job. I'm sure he's completely forgotten about it by now. Kids have a way of doing that.

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008