Saturday, September 5, 2009

water park and KILLER headache

Seth and I went to H2Oasis yesterday :-) He was so excited to be there, he did a little dance on the pool deck right before I led him into the water. Seth used to get physical therapy from an early intervention agency, and we saw his therapist at a picnic about a month ago. She told me that walking in water or sand would help strengthen Seth's foot and leg muscles so that he wouldn't slap his feet on the ground when he walks. I MUCH prefer water to sand, so the water park is now on our weekly schedule when possible. We took a nice walk all around the pool, went down the slide a couple times, and then spent the rest of our time in the deeper water because the air wasn't quite as warm as it usually is. Seth wasn't scared a bit by being in water up to his chin -- I was surprised! He didn't even really get upset when he lost his footing and went under a couple times. He was a little scared because he couldn't breathe for a second, but he smiled as soon as he could breathe again. We played a FUNNY game at the end of our time -- I turned him away from me and said "Bye, Seth." He said "bye" and walked away (about ten feet). Then he'd turn around and pretend like he had just noticed me and say "HI!" like we hadn't seen each other for days and walk back to me to give me a hug :-) He's getting REALLY good at pretending and being dramatic.

Here's another little funny thing about Seth -- he really doesn't like for me to brush his teeth, but he cooperates very nicely when we sing while I brush. I'll "hum" a song with my mouth open (usually "Jesus Loves Me" for morning brushing and a song from "Signing Time" about brushing teeth at night), and he copies me while I brush his teeth. It works every time :-)

Now for the negative part of the title -- this KILLER headache. I got a headache on Sunday connected with the flu bug we went through. But the headache has apparently decided to take up permanent residence. It's not a migraine or a dull headache, it's more like a muscle soreness in my left eye and left side of my neck. Not pleasant, but at least it's not so bad that I can't function. It is affecting my concentration a little, and it does hurt, but not badly enough to send me to bed for the day. I'm hoping a little more sleep will knock it out, but it hasn't worked quite yet. I'm also going to try a lot less computer -- maybe just once a day instead of ten times checking i.m., e-mail, twitter, facebook, blogs, etc. :-)

Yesterday, we had our first test in my sign language class. I realized that I hadn't TAKEN a test in over thirteen years! I've given many tests throughout that time, but it was a little nerve-wracking to be on the other end of the deal. I'm pretty sure I got a 102% -- but I won't know for sure until next week. It's odd for me to be a student among teenagers -- I'm only three years younger than the teacher :-) And it's difficult for me to learn something new and frustrating to me that I can't just **snap** know it all already! It's a VERY slow process, but I hope I can stick with it and become just as comfortable signing as speaking.

2 comments:

  1. Hi, it's a very great blog.
    I could tell how much efforts you've taken on it.
    Keep doing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome article, it was exceptionally helpful! I simply began in this and I'm becoming more acquainted with it better! Cheers, keep doing awesome! Camping mit hallenbad holland

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008