Monday, August 1, 2011

Sunday reading room


Makenzie and I went to the library to sit in the reading room to read Sunday afternoon. It was completely silent in there, even though there were three other people in there. SILENT!

We also picked up my prize for the summer reading program. I won an Alaska atlas. I'm going to refrain from commenting on that except to be glad I won anything for my efforts of recording my reading over the summer.

This morning was an incredible Bible morning!! First I read from Matthew 5 about being a light. "Let your light so shine before men that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in Heaven." In the middle of all the popular "churches are so legalistic -- what about grace? i'm free to do whatever i think is ok" mentality these days, it's always good to remember that God's Word is the real standard, not my own opinions. And then Charles Stanley gave an excellent sermon about the Holy Spirit, ending with a HUGELY important point: Galatians 5 says that love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness, and self-control are all fruits of THE SPIRIT, not fruits of a Christian. I had to think about the difference there. A Christian doesn't necessarily have those traits. The Holy Spirit absolutely, unquestionably DOES. Only someone who lives in the constant presence of God's Holy Spirit will have these traits because they are really not traits of any human being. They're the fruit of THE SPIRIT!!

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008