Thursday, June 4, 2009

my little runners

Tonight was the first summer track meet in Anchorage. Jason decided a while back that he was going to have the kids run in these summer races like he does each year. When I told the kids that today was race day, I got some HUGE whining. But when the time actually came, they were really excited and did a FANTASTIC job! Makenzie did the most running -- she warmed up with Jason by jogging two laps around the track, then ran one leg of the 4 x 100m relay (which means she ran 1/4 lap as fast as she could), and then ran the 800m (which is two laps around the track). I was pretty impressed! Joel was the instigator of the 4 x 100m relay. He saw that this would be one of the events tonight and said, "Dad, can we run that one?" Jason replied that you have to have a team of four to run that event. Joel almost shouted, "We HAVE four!" Jason hadn't considered running on a relay team with children, but he did it and they loved it! Seeing Luke running around that track reminded me of what the doctor told me during his explanation of our 20-week ultrasound of Luke. He said that Luke probably wouldn't be permanently handicapped, but that he'd probably never be an Olympic sprinter. Maybe tonight was the beginning of proving that theory wrong :-)


Joel cracked me up earlier today when I apologized to the kids for looking so awful today. I hadn't expected to be leaving the house today, so I put my hair up in a funny little clip-kind-of-pony-tail thing and didn't bother with make-up. I was hoping the kids weren't embarrassed to be seen with me looking like this when we decided to run some errands. Joel's comment about my appearance? "I like your hair today -- better than any other day! A little make-up would be good, but I LOVE your hair!"

2 comments:

  1. I have tears!! I remember Luke's surgeries . . . . what a blessing to hear about him running around the track :-) And everyone looks so happy.

    My kids are LOVING track. We got into a private/non-profit club and the coach is an amazing, energetic Christian man.

    Oh, just wait until your kids are 13. You can look ready for a magazine cover and they'll still be embarrassed!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It wasn't running with children that I was worried about, it was me having to run 100m. I am a distance runner not a sprinter :)

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008