Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Angela's Ashes

I finished reading Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, and this book has left a serious impact of thankfulness on my heart. The author grew up in Ireland in extreme poverty, and I don't just mean "awwww man, we can't go to McDonald's today because we don't get paid until next week." I'm talking about having an alcoholic father who spends every last penny on booze even though he has a wife and five kids at home literally starving. I think they mostly had a slice of bread and a cup of tea for each meal, if they had anything. For several years, this family had to live in an apartment that completely flooded every year and smelled so bad they often felt nauseated because the outhouse was too close to their door. Most of his life, this man didn't even have one penny; and when they did have any money, they had never been taught good money managing skills. They wasted what little they got on candy and movies. Often, his mother had to beg, ask for credit, and stand in line to receive charity. Obviously, since he's the author of a best-seller, this man got out of this kind of life. But there are many who never get out, and that makes me both sad for them and thankful for the blessed life God has allowed me to have.

There are many funny parts to the book, mostly sarcastic kind of funny, turning a desperate situation into something humorous. The humor helped alleviate the sadness of this story. One phrase that he used throughout the book will stick in my head forever, I think. His uncle didn't care what anyone thought about him. The way the author expressed this is that his uncle "didn't give a fiddler's fart." I'm laughing as I type that!

Now I'm reading his second book about his life starting over in America. I'm sure it's going to be just as interesting!

1 comment:

  1. I've wanted to read this book since it came out, but I was afraid it would be too sad. Like Schindler's List is too sad. So I've never read it.

    Did you know the author died within the last year or so?

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008