Friday, August 28, 2009

Luke's evening adventure

Darryl and Amanda (sib-in-laws) live right around the corner from us; so when Amanda called tonight to tell me she had a bag of clothes for the boys, it made sense for one of us to walk over real quick to get it. Luke was the only one available: Joel and I already had our pajamas on, Seth doesn't know the way :-), Makenzie's at a friend's house, and Jason's out of town. I called my cell phone, gave it to Luke, and talked to him while he walked over there.

Now I was thinking she had something like a Walmart bag full of clothes, but it was a big garbage bag! Since I can't see their house from mine, I didn't understand what the holdup was after Darryl gave Luke the bag. Luke made it out of their driveway and down the street about one house before he had to give up and beg me to come pick him up in the van. I still didn't understand the problem, so I unsympathetically said, "No, just pick up the bag and hurry home. Shut the phone off, put it in the bag, and use both hands to carry the bag." The poor child was really confused about how in the world he was going to get this huge bag home.

At this point, I decided that I'd better walk over there and help him. I don't think I have ever left my house in my pajamas. I get up at 5 a.m. to ensure my spot in line for the bathroom so that no one ever sees me without normal clothes, hair, and make-up. But my poor little guy was struggling out there, so I threw out all vanity and walked down the street. I was shocked to see a little 50-pound child trying to pick up a big garbage bag full of clothes. Then I got scared when a car drove up next to him! I wasn't too worried since I was only a half-block down the street and Luke was still on my cell phone. A man got out of the car, picked up the bag, and put it in his back seat. I was a little more concerned now, so I called down the street, "I'm right here, Luke. I'm coming." As I got closer, I could see that the people in the car weren't strangers. They were two of Jason's co-workers who live across the street from Darryl and Amanda. They told me that they offered Luke a ride, but he said that he'd better wait for his mom (good boy! even though these are friends, not strangers).

So we made it home safe and sound with our bag of clothes. The funniest part of the whole story is that the people in the car thought that Luke was RUNNING AWAY!!!! I'm sure it looked like that, too!!!! I hope if Luke ever tries to run away, he'll take a giant bag like that so that he'll be easier for me to catch.

(p.s. Seth's all better now :-)

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like something I'd do!! Except for the pajama in the neighborhood for the first time part . . . . . my neighbors have seen me in my flannel pj pants and t-shirt so many times that they're not even phased anymore - lol.

    ReplyDelete


The Hofacker Family 2008