Monday, October 27, 2008

seth understands


I'm trying to "study up" on how and what to teach Seth at home (since I've become anti-school district and anti-preschool). He still sees a speech therapist and an occupational therapist weekly, so I feel ok with using this year as mainly my education time. Today I learned that recognizing the fact that words are symbols for actual things, people, actions, or ideas is quite a complex and difficult process that children with Down syndrome may have trouble with. Seth seems to be getting it, though! Looking back, I can see the progression from his imitating my signs just to get a positive reaction from me to now making signs because he knows what he's seeing or thinking or wanting. This is one of the most amazing and exciting aspects of having and observing a child with Down syndrome. This same process occurred in my other three children as it does in all people, but I missed it because it happened so quickly without my realizing it. With Seth, all processes are spread out, lengthened, making observation of his learning and growing so much easier.

And now it's time to get that smart little cutie out of his crib so that we can go pick up the other three cuties from school :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008