Tuesday, November 4, 2008

scary election day

I'm pretty much anti-politics. I never watch the news or read the newspaper or even read the little news bits on the internet when I log off my e-mail. The whole subject just gets me too upset, so I avoid it completely. The unfairness of people's making unbelievable amounts of money for doing what, I'm not sure, when people like Jason work their tails off and still qualify for public assistance is just plain WRONG! I'm thankful that I live in the U.S. and have almost complete freedom, the opportunity to earn money, and all the modern conveniences thought up so far. I have to stop myself right there or the list of complaints would be so long that I'd forget that I started out being thankful. So that's the end of that -- I'm thankful that I live in this country.

Now the election today has me a little nervous. I'm still not sure how any American could even consider voting for a man with any kind of Middle-Eastern ties unless, of course, 9-11 has completely slipped their minds. I know that "the end" is near and that people and nations will become more and more evil, but I guess I've always thought that I'd be long dead before any of that. If there's a Christian president, it would seem that I have a better chance of my assumption being reality. If the other one gets elected, I'll really start listening for the trumpet.

I ran into an old friend today. I love it when that happens! She didn't recognize me. I didn't know that I'd really changed at all, but I guess I haven't seen her for a couple years. Seeing her reminded me that I need to keep in touch with people better. About a year or so ago, I started e-mailing my college friends again. Before that, we had almost completely lost contact. Now we e-mail pretty regularly. I have another old friend who doesn't like to use computers, so I actually sat down and WROTE (with pen and paper -- gasp!) her a letter and sent pictures of the kids. Life gets so busy, that I forget to stay connected to people. I need to do more to remember the people that I love and let them know that I'm thinking of them and caring about them. That might be a good New Year's resolution to start on right away to get in the habit before the new year gets here (increase my chance of success). I'm trying to do that with the kids and our Bible lesson book. I've tried off and on ever since Joel was one or two to read a Bible lesson and pray the Lord's prayer together at breakfast. It's been really difficult to stick to that since the kids started school. It's always so rush-rush on school mornings, and then weekend mornings are all about sleeping and watching cartoons. Those are NOT good excuses for skipping family devotion time.

No comments:

Post a Comment


The Hofacker Family 2008